Monday, June 6, 2011

More Answers? Possibly

Could it be? Could it really be?

I had my 2nd private session with Erin tonight regarding my NaPro chart. Interesting enough my first full cycle not only showed light brown spotting at the end of my period (possibly a progesterone issue) BUT a very short luteal phase!! Umm...I've been asking about this since before Landon. I have always ovulated late and when I say late I mean like day 18ish of a 28 day cycle. This previous cycle I ovulated 7 days before I got my period. WTF?!

I'm so happy to be getting answers but why has no one listened to me until now? Is it really that hard? So as soon as we get some insurance I will have my hormonal tests done (FSH & E2). It could have just been a weird cycle so we'll see what cycle #2 on the NaPro chart says. On the other hand I don't think this is just a coincidence of two issues that revolve around progesterone.

Since I brought it up let's talk about the luteal phase and what a luteal phase defect means. If you are reading this blog you probably know that in a woman's regular cycle ovulation occurs half way through. So if you have a 28 day cycle ovulation will most likely occur around day 14. After ovulation occurs progesterone is released by the corpus luteum to develop and increase the lining of the uterus so implantation can occur. So from the time of ovulation to the day you get your period is known as the luteal phase.

However, if you have a luteal phase defect this means there are too few day between ovulation and menstration. Therefore, there is not enough time for the corpus luteum to produce progesterone. This will result in poor uterine lining causing an early m/c. Remember, I've had two CP.

Does this take a genius to figure out? Apparently. Some doctors don't even believe in this defect. Why? You'll have to ask them because it seems like common sense to me.

So LPD (luteal phase defect) does not stop there. There are actually three possible causes and its important to know which one you are dealing with. Some doctors only treat this defect with progesterone but sometimes this is not enough. For more information on the 3 types of LPD and how it can be treated click here.

So for now that is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment