Sunday, May 22, 2011

Another Perspective

I should know better than to ask people what they think of my problems. Unfortunately I require a lot of reassurance but sometimes I don't get that. I get the opposite of that and that for me can make my head spin and spin and spin. Then I'm back to needing reassurance. It is a vicious cycle you see.

Getting on to my story. I recently spoke to a retired Ob/Gyn that I know. I believe he practiced in the 60's - 80's maybe early 90's. However, I've asked for his opinion a few times over the past few months. Back when I was pg we had a conversation about miscarriages. Ever since the 1960's he has been a firm believer in extra folic acid, before there was a big push for folic acid (especially in women w/ RPL). So he always thought folic acid contributed in some way.

Recently I was discussing what has been discovered as far as being MTHFR positive and the treatment that it may require. He was not familiar with MTHFR since (I think) it was discovered in the 90's. After I got done explaining everything he warned me to be careful especially with going the route of Lovenox. Supposedly Lovenox is "too big" to carry over into the placenta but some science debates this original finding. He warned me not to get too caught up in this that it can become dangerous when your grasping for straws. :::sigh:::

[God darn it! I don't care if I'm grasping at damn little strings...I need something. This is ridiculous being 27, having 5 pregnancies and only one child to show for it.]

He also implied that because I have a healthy child that its like you start over and aren't considered to have RPL again until you m/c two or more times. He said you may not be at any greater risk than the average women now. More or less this last m/c could have been a 1 in 4 chance like any other woman. [psychotic tone: WHAT?! Are you kidding me!] Really just because I had a child means I get a fresh start? Too bad my emotions don't.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I work with Neevo. I am so sorry for your losses. MTHFR refers to the amount of MTHFR enzyme in your body. Having MTHFR is an indication of the value you get from traditional folic acid. You may want to seek supplementation from another source, such as l-methylfolate. L-methylfolate is the active form of folate, what your body processes from folic acid. L-methylfolate bypasses the genetic limitation of MTHFR. You can view the methylation cycle here: http://www.neevodha.com/mthfr-pregnancy Hope this information helps.

    ReplyDelete